Infrastructure Upgrade Building 10
The Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center complex holds nearly half of the total NIH facilities. The original 1.2 million square feet complex was built in 1952, yet by the late 1990's had more than doubled to approximately 2.8 million square feet. The facility houses 2,000 laboratories, complex support functions, 500 in-patient beds and 5700 employees.
This project included replacement and upgrade of the major HVAC utility systems while the building functions remained in operation. Six new penthouses were built on top of the existing building to house more than 1,900,000 cfm of supply air handling units, 700,000 cfm of exhaust fans for laboratory fume hoods and biosafety cabinets and auxillary equipment. All new supply and exhaust air systems are variable volume employing variable frequency drives for control and energy conservation.
We were also responsible for replacing the central medical gas compressors and main header sterilized piping. This work was also coordinated to avoid any disruptions to on-going medical treatment and research operations.
The project received a craftsmanship award from the Washington Building Congress for mechanical renovation skills.